Monday, June 21, 2010

Whoa....where'd I go?!


I was spoiled this weekend. My husband took me for a weekend getaway to celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We headed north to a bed and breakfast. We've never stayed at a B&B and we assumed that all B&B's were painted in mauve and hunter green with lots of lace and dried wreaths....not really our thing. We were happy to find out we were wrong. We stayed at a new B&B that had tastefully decorated and spacious rooms(even aJacuzzi). We spent our first day going on a tapas and wine tasting tour. We learned about wine making from vine to wine and pairing wine and food. Before you think that my husband and I are "pinkies up" type of people let me assure you that we aren't. We visited a few other wineries and tasting rooms before we hit the beach and dinner. We tucked only ourselves into bed (I'll keep it PG kids), and woke up the next morning for breakfast and a day or sight seeing.

The best part about the weekend was rediscovering that we are fun! At one point during dinner, I turned to my husband and said, "Did you miss me?". He didn't miss a beat. He knew exactly what I meant. Sometimes, I'm all mommy and no Jen or I'm all mommy and no wife. I'm thinking that this happens to a lot of mommies. We get entrenched in work, cleaning house, cleaning up kids, buying food, preparing food, and cleaning up the remnants of food, and we loose our former selves in the job.

To all the Jen's, Kathy's, Christy's, Stephanie's, Jessica's, (your name here)....out there. Do yourself, kids, marriage a solid and book a weekend away. Take off your mommy hat and enjoy being kid and care free! You'll come back with a new perspective on parenting and missing your kids like crazy!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Sounds like a wonderful trip! My husband's family owns a vineyard and I just love learning about grapes {and of course, tasting the wine!}. And, I agree that we lose ourselves. When we get a sitter for all three boys---which is RARE---we find ourselves out and about laughing, goofing off, and having fun again. My husband said I turn into the old me, which makes him impatient for the children to grow up and begin their own lives so he can have "me" all the time again.

Hmmm, I hope we don't change AGAIN when we become grandmothers :o/

Sandy said...

So glad you guys had a great time!!! The picture looks beautiful!!! Our 10 year is in 2011, so we may need to start saving for something special!

mother Judi said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Fritzemama said...

Dean and I celebrated our 4th anniversary this weekend by going to Greenfield Village (just gone for one night). It was so utterly refreshing....Dean said he hadn't heard me laugh in a long time. It was FUN...just super good to remember that we are a couple apart from all of our responsiblities. I hope we can do things like this more often.

Country Gal said...

I love it when our husbands know just what we mean - even when we talk in shorthand! I'm so glad you found yourself again - I know exactly what you're talking about! :)