Tuesday, June 29, 2010

Traveling With Kids Tip


I was talking with some teenagers last weekend and they were going on about a road trip. They're new to driving and were planning discovering the back roads to the beach. I mentally traveled back in time and remembered the carefree road trips I used to take with my best friend from high school. Somehow, road trips don't have the appeal anymore with 2 kids in tow. Hmmm....trapped in a car with 2 kids singing at the top of their lungs, arguing about who's touching whom, and always needing to pee at the worst times. No thanks.

Time in the car is unavoidable with summer in full swing and family vacations booked. Here's a great tip (that I origianlly heard from my friend Angel over at Salty and Sweet)for keeping your sanity and paying your kids for good behavior! When you're all loaded and ready to hit the road, give your kids a roll or quarters. Most likely, you'll be buying them a treat or souvenir anyway. Might I suggest putting the roll in a Ziploc plastic bag with their name on it...we don't want to start any new fights. Warn your kids that anytime they argue, act rudly, or behave inappropriately during the trip in the car, they will be paying you a quarter. Then let them know that they may save or spend any quarters that they have left over at your final destination.

Yep, it's bribery. But it's fabulous! Happy trails friends!

Be sure to enter the Powder Pouch GEVEAWAY....here!

For other helpful ideas visit We Are That Family!

5 comments:

thediaperdiaries said...

Love, love, love this tip!!!

Aspiring Mom2three said...

What a perfectly wonderful idea! Wish I had known about it when my kids were younger!

Kelli said...

Awesome idea...I am getting ready to go on one of those dreaded trips in 2 days, this might just work!! Probably not for my 2 1/2 year old, but definitely for my 7 1/2 year old!! thanks for sharing =)

Annikke said...

We do this too! We have used this for about 5 road trips and it is always a big hit! If we stay at a hotel the kids can use what they have left to buy something at a vending machine or use it at a souvenir shop! It works wonders!

Kasey said...

Great idea! So simple yet, I know it'll be so effective on my children!!!