Friday, July 2, 2010

Top 10 Things I Love About the 4th of July


10. Helping my kids snag candy during the parade. Watch out because I'm all about making sure the little people get their fair shake down of the candy...oh, and making sure my kids don't get run over too.

9. Decking my family out in red, white, and blue. While I don't feel the need to buy a new 4th of July t-shirt every year, it sorta makes me happy when my family is all coordinating. It's like we're all a part of team USA...love that.

8. Carnival food. Yep, I'm a cotton candy freak. If we're on team USA...then I win gold on the cotton candy eating contest.

7. Sparklers. It's sparkly, it's fire, it goes stizzzz when it's finished and you put it in the bucket of water! Best of all, my 6 year old can "write" his name with them now. Fun. Fun.

6. Annual used book sale. Our library has a book sale before the parade. I've shopped it since...well, as long as I can remember so it's definitely apart of my 4th tradition.

5. Firecracker pancakes. Okay, they're just pancakes. In our family, I always make strawberry and blueberry pancakes with whipped cream for breakfast. It's a great way to start the sugarfest! Somehow, calling them firecracker pancakes makes them extra special for the kids.

4. Elephant. What...elephant!?! Yes, elephant. At the end of our local parade there's a huge carnival where all the rides are free (that means the lines are extra long). At the end of the carnival, the firemen roll out watermelon to the elephant who's been giving rides all day. She stops each watermelon like a professional soccer ball player. She uses her long trunk to scoop up the first watermelon, brings it to her mouth and bites down causing a waterfall of watermelon juice to cascade down her front. It's incredible to watch and worth the wait. It makes me happy every time I see it.

3. My kids reaction to the police cars and firetrucks as the sirens wail by. Although, for the youngens, could you please dial it down a notch guys?

2. That first firework that goes off as a test. I love the way a noisy, restless, worn out crowd settle right down after the first blast. I wish I had that kind of affect on my kids.

1. Feeling the earth shake under you with each explosion during the fireworks. Fireworks are like candy for the eyes and almost overwhelming for the ears but I especially love the way they make a nice thud under me and my blanket.

Praise God for our freedoms and God bless America!

1 comment:

Jennifer {Studio JRU} said...

Wonderful gratitude list!!

God Bless America! :)