Thursday, June 24, 2010

How Long is Summer?



When my son finished preschool he was so sad to find out that he had to wait a whole summer until he could begin kindergarten. This year, he wasn't as naive but he still had a hard time grasping how long summer vacation would be.

My solution...a paper chain. My kids love having a green and red paper chain count down until Christmas and my thought was...why not for summer too?

We stretched out the days of summer in front of us...



Wow! That's a long summer. We have some plans for this summer that the kids are really jazzed about. It's what, week 2 or 3 of summer vacation and I'm already tired of explaining to them how long until our family vacation. That's why I went all color code crazy on the chain. Each color stands for a special event or vacation. The kids can easily see how long until each event and even count out the chains. Ahhhh...no more pestering mommy!



So, for us...
blue = nothing planned (I love seeing all that blue)
yellow = baseball
Red = mommy's out of town
orange = vacation Bible school
green = family vacation
red, white, & blue = 4th of July....what else?!

It's a great rainy day project and all it required was a scissor, stapler, and colored construction paper. Happy chaining!

This post is a part of Things I Love Thursday

5 comments:

Kelli said...

Awesome idea!!

christyd said...

I love it! What a great idea!

the deKorne family said...

this idea is off the chain cute. pun intended. i LOVE it.

Jen@BigBinder said...

This is fantastic. I have used the paper chain for other events (besides Christmas), but never color coded it. I bow down to thee, paper chain queen.

Susie B. Homemaker said...

How cute & creative! :D My daughter was sad that she won't have her same teacher when she goes to Kindergarten. Something like this might take her mind off the negative and get her looking forward to school in the fall.

Come by and check out my "13 Weekends of Summer" giveaway blog hop (every Sat& Sun). Each weekend you linkup is an entry into the giveaways. :)
http://www.susiebhomemaker.com/2010/06/13-weekends-of-summer-giveaway-blog-hop.html