Monday, May 3, 2010

Feed My Starving Children

How can a SAHM make an impact on a social justice issue like hunger? Seriously, I feel competent to cook for a family of 4 but take a bite out of world hunger...seems a bit beyond me. And it is.

God blessed my home church this last Sunday and I'm still all abuzz from the event. By the grace of God, our church was able to raise $32,ooo during Lent to buy and pack 150,000 meals (each meal feeding 6 children) along with a general donation to Feed My Starving Children Amazing.

The best part of the entire day was watching my son work during our shift. I was in charge of scooping the soy and rice into the meal storage bag after a friend scooped a vitamin/chicken powder and dehydrated veggies. Yum, yum. My husband and our son took the bag after it was properly weighted and sealed it. Our shift packed enough meals to feed 169 children one meal per day for one year. The feeling of helping, of being a part of the process, of being used to help, made us feel so full!

Feed My Starving Children is a Christian organization that will work with you and your group of volunteers! Here's their link: http://www.fmsc.org/Page.aspx?pid=398

Please comment if you have any questions or if you've worked with this organization and you can recommend it along with me!

No comments: